Support your associations and change your outlook heading to Medtrade Spring
by Shelly Prial

I remember when my granddaughter was only seven years old and she taught me the meaning of attitude. She wanted to go to the pool after lunch. I said the radio announced there was a forecast of a 30 percent chance of rain and I wasn’t sure if we would be able to go. Her quick answer was, “Grandpa, there is a 70 percent chance it won’t rain.” That is attitude!

A negative attitude always leads to failure. That being the case, I suggest we all look for opportunities and turn negatives into positives! If someone tells you that you cannot do something that only means they cannot do it. I have been listening to “gloom and doom” from the home health care industry for many years. Where will independent dealers obtain their business if there is a change in how health care is distributed by legislation? But what will happen to your company if we do not get certain pending legislations passed (HR274 and S148)?  

Now is when you must get very active! If every DME/HME dealer would give full support to AAHomecare and the state DME associations, bad things will not happen. They know what to say and do, but they need the necessary dollars to accomplish critical goals. Skip having a dinner out or an evening at a show and send those dollars to the associations. You will be able to always enjoy going out for dinner and a show, but change is in attitude is imperative.

There is no reason for not becoming active. Recognize that it is almost impossible to stand alone these days. At Medtrade Spring in Las Vegas, these problems will all be addressed. It is coming very quickly. Please try to bring as many key employees with you. There will be so much activity there, and you want to return home with all possible knowledge about changes and available support. When you see me walking the floor at Medtrade, please say “hello.” It means great deal to this old a guy!